Sunday, February 28, 2010

New House....New Tools. What should I go with?

I just bought a new house that needs some work. I plan on doing a lot of work myself. I will need to invents in some tools and figured I would go with one brand from the start. That way its easier with charging batteries and what not. Nothing to serious just your basic power tools. Any suggestions?New House....New Tools. What should I go with?
I've been a contractor for 20+ years and I use nothing but Dewalt - best tools made. I would invest in a combination kit that has:


Circular Saw


Recip Saw


Drill


Jig saw





Circular Saw - corded





I use nothing but the 18V cordless. Dewalt's last a long time and the quick chargers make them really easy to use. They also have a lot of power!


Also get:


Table saw (Ryobi makes a really nice portable saw)


Good ladder


Chain sawNew House....New Tools. What should I go with?
I wouldn't be without a cordless screw gun. Buy a good brand, not the cheapo. Not the best unless you have money to burn, since you aren't using it professionally, and buy the biggest voltage that feels comfortable in terms of weight. I've had mine for at least 5 years, including using it a fair amount of time at work, and it's lasting just fine. Batteries are way better than they used to be. A corded drill is good if you need extra power but a cordless will probably do 90% of what you need to do.





Don't get too hung up on one brand. Some makers do well with one thing but not so well at another.





Depends what you're doing, but for power tools, I like to have:





Jigsaw, corded


Reciprocating saw


Skilsaw


Sander


Brad nailer





Table saws can come in very handy if you are cutting very many sheets of plywood, but they are expensive and I haven't seen the need yet for me, and don't forget sawhorses. A compound mitre saw can be very useful too, if you're cutting a lot of dimension lumber.
Most of the major brands sell kits that include a variety of tools depending on what assortment will work best for you.





The only real negative I can see in the kits available is that they all share one big, heavy case. It's really important to me to have a separate case for each tool. But I also use them for work and need to be able to pick and choose among my tools.





I've never had the luxury of being able to share batteries among tools, so i can't tell you about the pro's and con's on that end. But I'm sure it's great to be able to.





Brand-wise, it's really important to get a good one. I'm a user of Makita (famous for great saws), Bosch, Ridgid, Milwaukee (famous for the original Sawzall reciprocating saw).





Dewalt used to be great. Especially for drills. Then black and decker bought them out - now they're not so great. I have two friends with busted chucks on their Dewalts. Both broke within months. I don't recommend them anymore.





If I were in your shoes, I would go with Makita or Milwaukee. I've had so much luck across the board with both of these brands.





Best of luck.
You could check out discount tools suppliers, a good 14v drill is very handy, but the real power is in the floor model table saws drill press, then the stuff with cords like circular saw jig saw palm sander, router and mini router and saws all,then you have the hand tools, hammers and screwdrivers and every measuring devices and trick you can get. Tools are like personal items, I don't let people use my good tools or borrow my women or vise versa.lol!
don;'t know what your capabilities are, but the basics are a circular saw, cordless reversible drill, work light, heavy, multi-outlet extension cord, at least 50 feet, hand auger, two pipe wrenches, say 12'; and 18';, set of screwdriver bits for the drill, drill bits, 2 hammers, one a roofing type, the other a claw household hammer, a good 3-4' level, pair of vice grips, pair of channel locks, couple pair of pliers, one a lineman type, pair of wire cutters, some wiring connectors, some of theinsert and twist variety, some of the spade and lug variety. staple gun and staples T-50 type, socket set and socket wrench, combination box and and open end wrenches in standard sizes, few metrics in the house. A circuit tester, amp meter, hand saw, hacksaw, speed sockets which look like screwdriver handles but have socket openings on the ends, in four sizes, usually come in a set, some door ease, a wax crayon useful for keeping things sliding smoothly, some 'o' rings for leaky hoses and fittings, can of WD-40 and that's enough to get started on.
My opinion, NiCd or NiMh battery powered tools are never a good investment. So either shell out for the li ion, or just stick with corded tools where you can. A drill/driver is about the only thing you really need to be cordless. I would actually shy away from battery powered saws of any kind. When a saw bogs down due to low power, it can increase the chance of broken blades, injuries, and swearing.
If you get battery powered tools buy an extra battery or two so you can have one all charged up when the first one runs out. I think they have sets where the tools are interchangeable with the same batteries. That sounds like a good idea, as well.
Framing hammer. 25' Measuring tape. Flash light. Cordless drill. Strait and phillips screw drivers. Channel Locks (2). Jig saw. Circular Saw.





Fat Max by Stanley are great. Ewing Hammers. Dewalt Drills and saws. - these last a lifetime.





Laid Off Construction Worker
Don't use battery power tools.The batterys don't last.Go with corded tools.They are cheaper and last a lot longer.
We us Ryobi and Dewalt.

No comments:

Post a Comment